GEORGETOWN, Guyana (CARIBUPDATE/NOV 30, 2016) - West Indies batsman Darren Bravo, is claiming he was unlawfully dismissed after the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) sent him home for inappropriate and unacceptable behavior.
The decision, which came ahead of the West Indies’ tri-nation series involving Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka, occurred after WICB president Dave Cameron had said on SportsMax.tv that Bravo was offered a C contract because of falling averages.
Bravo, had earlier, refused a central contract from the WICB, joining Marlon Samuels and Carlos Brathwaite, in saying ‘no’.
It had been widely speculated that Bravo was unhappy with the nature of the contract he was offered but there has never been a comment from the batman on the matter.
Instead, his frustrations seem to boil over in a tweet in which he said, “You have been failing 4 d last 4 yrs. Y don’t u resign and FYI I’ve neva been given an A contract. Big idiot @dave51.
It is alleged that the WICB asked that the offensive tweet be removed and that Bravo apologise for it.
No apology was forthcoming and Bravo was sent home.
The tweet still remains.
Since then, Bravo, who has been in talks with the Queen’s Park Cricket Club, the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board and his attorneys, has sent what is called a pre-action protocol letter.
The WICB is yet to formally respond to the letter.